Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Wonderstruck

So this past week I have been at girls camp!
And that was crazy and wonderful and a week of a lifetime that I never want to forget, but this blog post is not about girls camp.
This blog post is about an unexpected turn of events in my attempt to create tradition.
Ok I will explain.
 
 
Last year after girls camp I invited Joseph over for dinner the day I got back.
I wanted to tell him every little detail about everything.
He came over and I made lasagna and we talked and played games all night and it was so much fun.
So this year I thought it would be such a great idea to have him over again!
I made lasagna just like I did the year before and already planned all the stories I would tell him and all the games we would get to play and I was a little bit giddy.
Well Joseph seemed to be running on MST Mormon Standard Time.
He was extra late coming home from working on his farm and I know how much hard work that is and that its easy to run late so I just cut him some slack and put a plate together for him and through it in the fridge to warm up when he got here.
Well another change of plans, he sometimes cleans an office building and I guess he needed to do it that night.
So no games.
My super fun start of a tradition night that I planned was looking like a disaster, but I decided to go with him and clean this office with him which I had done before.
And let me tell you, I wouldn't have traded the night for anything in the whole world.
We spent a little time at his house before heading over to the office.
His home is heaven on earth, in a way I cant even begin to explain.
I think it's how his dad hugs me and gives me a couple good squeezes when he sees me, welcoming me home. And standing at the front door smelling an amazing home cooked meal.
I think it's spirit that melts away contentions, but that's not even the best part of the night.
I love the car rides that require no music because the constant laughter and conversation fills the air.
I love the quiet moments we all feel perfectly content without needing to say a word.
I love popping out from behind corners to scare Joseph and his brother when we are cleaning and singing and dancing with my broom, and being silly and messing around.
I love long hugs when I'm being dropped off and I love how the simplest things in the world can mean the most when they are done with people we love.
 
 
AND ITS WONDERFUL
 
Because it struck me in that moment.
It was a perfectly unexpected night and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
 
 
 
All my love, Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment